CITIZENSHIP RETENTION AND RE-ACQUISITION UNDER R.A. 9225
Former Filipinos may re-acquire their Philippine citizenship through the Citizenship Reacquisition under Republic Act (RA) No. 9225. This Law, which took effect on 17 September 2003, declares that former natural-born Filipino citizens who acquired foreign citizenship through naturalization are deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under conditions provided in the Act. A former Filipino can re-acquire Philippine citizenship by taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines.
A. Documentary Requirements:
- Birth Certificate issued by the National Statistics Office duly authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs. In case the birth certificate is not available, other documentary proof of the applicant’s being a former natural-born Filipino citizen.
- Certificate of Naturalization. Since the Act requires that the “loss of Philippine citizenship by the applicant must be on account of naturalization as a citizen of a foreign country”, he/she should submit documents showing the fact of his/her naturalization as a citizen of a foreign country.
- Authenticated Marriage certificate, if married.
- Authenticated Death certificate of spouse, if widowed.
- Annulment, if the marriage is annulled. The court decision to nullify the marriage must be certified by the proper court and authenticated by the DFA.
- Divorce decree, if divorcee. It must be certified by the proper court.
- Duly accomplished petition form for the citizenship re-acquisition/retention.
- Three (3) identical photographs recently taken, in color, passport size (4.5 cm x 3.5 cm), royal blue background, frontal shot
- Upon submission of the documents, the Petition will be evaluated.
- An Oath of Allegiance will be taken by the applicant in front of the Consular Officer
- An Order of Approval will be issued by the Consular Officer of the Embassy which shall be the substantive proof that applicant has re-acquired/retained his/her Philippine citizenship.
C. Consular Service Fee
Rp 900,000 for the processing of the Petition and Rp. 375,000 for the notarial fee of the Oath of Allegiance for the re-acquisition of Philippine Citizenship.
Click here to download a copy of the Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Form.